Thursday, January 03, 2013

Quitting Smoking - Days 1-3

Monday night, around 11:30 pm, I put out my last cigarette. I wasn't feeling all that well, so I crushed up the pack with 3 cigarettes still in it, and tossed it in the recycling bin. Yep, I even posted a pic of the "last one" on Facebook.

Tuesday (DAY ONE), I got up thinking "I want to go out on the porch to smoke, but I won't." I felt pretty crummy anyway, so I just attributed the weird feeling in my chest to withdrawals. I sat curled up in my recliner, feeling crappy and wanting a cigarette. Bill make his second-annual New Year's Day thanksgiving feast which looked and smelled amazing. By the time dinner was ready, I was feeling worse, but still attributed it to withdrawal/cravings. So I fixed myself my normal small plate of dinner. I ate most of it, but left some (gasp!) mashed potatoes on my plate. An hour or so later, I went to take my contacts out, and all at once felt REALLY bad. So, I grab the thermometer, and lo and behold, I have a 101° fever. Lovely. Downstairs I go, break the news to Bill, and head up to bed. Grab a second comforter, turn on the tv, and try to get warm. An hour later, fever is up to 102° - Bill runs to the drugstore and picks up some NyQuil for me... I sleep for a few hours at a time.

Wednesday (DAY 2), I wake up after "napping" all night. Weird high-fever-dreams keep me from getting any real sleep, and my back starts to hurt from being in bed for 18 hours. Still feeling awful, but with just a hint of a fever, I get up and make my way downstairs. I recognize the instinct to go out on the porch to smoke, but ignore it because I just don't feel well. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm really craving nicotine, or just feel like crap from the flu/cold I have. Watch tv/movies from the couch all day, make a pot of turkey & noodle soup with the broth Bill made from the turkey carcass. Eat a bowl of said soup, put the rest in the freezer, go back to bed.

Thursday (DAY THREE). Wake up feeling 99%. I'm glad I was sick the past two days. ( hear those are the hardest ones.) I consider buying a pack of the cheapest (and therefore nastiest) cigarettes they have at the gas station. Just so there's one there, if I feel like I want just one drag to take the edge off. Then I consider buying a "loosie" (some places sell single cigarettes) for the same reason. I just buy a Dr.Pepper and go home. Up to this point, I haven't felt a NEED to smoke... just a strong WANT to. We'll see how this goes.

No comments: