Friday, August 07, 2009

The Joys of Home-ownership (with dog)

Everyone told me "owning a house is a lot of work". I accepted that and was ready for the challenge. Little did I know, it would start almost immediately.

First of all, we decided that the dog (3-year-old Jack Russel/ Beagle mix) would be caged while we weren't home, in order to train him not to have an "accident" in the house. He did NOT like this idea. He chewed his way out of his first (plastic) cage. This was the second day he was in it. On the first day, he merely chewed his harness to tiny pieces. Having no cage to put him in, Bill decided to put him in the basement for the 4 hours no-one was home. He tried to chew the door knob off! And today, when I came home (he still hasn't escaped from the basement), i let him out of the basement and we took a quick walk... and I noticed that he seemed rather dusty. Fast-forward to me taking a load of laundry down to wash (more on the laundry issue in a minute), and I find that he's found some drywall that hasn't been hung yet. He tore the drywall into shreds and left it on the floor. I don't think he actually ate any, but you should see the mess!

Other than the headaches the dog has supplied us with, there's MORE!

Day 2 of hot water:
My brother-in-law is in the basement "mudding" the drywall he's installed. He hears a strange noise and wanders around the basement trying to figure out what it is. Come to find out, the water line into the hot water heater has rusted completely through. He brings me the broken pieces, and says "Better go get a new one of these." Luckily, it was only about $12, and he was able to re-install the new one without a hitch.

Day 7 of living in the house:
We get the washer and dryer into the basement and hook them up. We are seriously low on clean clothes, so I put a load in to wash. About an hour later, I go downstairs to see if the load is ready for the dryer... i'm not halfway down the 6 stairs and I can hear water hitting the concrete floor! Shut the water off, finish the spin cycle and dry the clothes. No problem. Put a hose clamp on the drain hose, which seems to be the problem, and everyone is happy. Fast forward a few days, and Bill decides to do a load of laundry. Now the think won't drain. (Did I mention that the hose that says "COLD" actually feeds the HOT on the machine?) Anyhow, a service call was placed, and father time (i swear he was THAT old) made 2 house calls... all is well. Except for the fact that the dog decided to try to chew through the drain hose from the washer (so now it leaks and has a bucket under it until I go buy a new hose tomorrow). Oh, and there isn't any flexible "tubing" from the dryer vent right now. The dog destroyed that, too.

Who needs kids? My dog does more damage!

On the bright side: The barney-purple fireplace has revealed some absolutely gorgeous original woodwork! Its a strange hodgepodge though. Part of the woodwork is obvoiusly original, and other parts are painted-over unfinished moulding. EW.
The half-way point stripping the fireplace
To the left you can see where I stripped some of the lighter pink paint... only to find unfinished wood that is NOT 100 years old. What were the previous owners THINKING??????????? (Oh, and by the way, in case you didn't know... the entire living room was that lighter shade of pink - and it was atrocious!)

No comments: