Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hell in a Hand Basket

http://wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=5840782

This story really irked me. Please, read it so you will understand my following ranting and raving. (Please let me know if the link doesn't work and I will post the story,)

First of all: I don't care if you're an albino sasquatch who has no hope of finding a mate of the same genetic abnormalities. DON'T CLONE. Don't clone animals. Don't clone people. DON'T play God.

Yes, the idea of cloning is an interesting one. Grow a heart for someone whose heart is failing. Great. But, I'm sorry: their heart is failing for a reason, otherwise, it would be fine. I'm a smoker- not proud of it, but to quote Popeye, "I yam what I yam." Anyway, sure, I'd love to grow myself some new lungs. But you know what? It's MY fault I smoke, and MY fault I'll have serious problems in the (not so distant) future.

"Ok, so what about the babies who are born with bad hearts, lungs, kidneys, etc." As heartless as it sounds, (and probably not what I would say if faced with the situation) that baby was born that way for a reason. That baby has something important to do, whether it is to strengthen its parents, or something that we mortals will never understand.

I just see this cloning as one more proverbial nail in the coffin: God's not gonna like this. Remember Noah?

1 comment:

Dad said...

There is nothing new under the sun. In Biblical times parents would intentionally mame a child occasionally. The child then was thereby assured a decent living begging at the gate of the Temple. Smae thing, different reason....