Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Employment Status

Well, today will probably be the LONGEST day of my life. Tomorrow, I will find out if I got a job in my field. For anyone who doesn't know, I have been struggling to find ANY job since November. I am one of the three top candidates for a CAD position ("or multiple positions" as the company's owner said a few different times in my second interview.) So today, I get to sit and try not to be pessimistic about it. I go back and forth about it: one minute I think, " well, I am a woman, so there's a plus: affirmative action," and the next, I think, "I applied for so many jobs, and for some reason nobody wants to hire me."
The thing about affirmative action in this instance is that I am a woman fighting my way into a male-dominated field. How many women do you know who are automotive parts designers? In school, there were 3 of us in the entire program. (Which gave me great motivation to be the best: better than all the men at "their own game"!)
I will post tomorrow when I know for sure. Be sure to come back!

No comments: