Sunday, April 24, 2005

Why?

Why is it that when I'm faced with a "parent" situation, I'm at a loss? I have a niece who is 14. I was 14 once. I had a lot of the same important issues as she does. I want to help her. To give advice, to tell her about when I went through the same things. But I know that when I was going through them, the last thing I wanted was for some adult to tell me that they know what I'm going through. My goodness, is this what my parents dealt with when I was a teenager?

I feel like I can be the "friend" in the situation... but I'm afraid of walking on her dad or grandmother's toes. Not to mention walking on her uncle's toes. I don't know what to do. I want to help her. I feel like maybe she would talk to me, but I don't want her immediate (read: blood family) family to resent me for interfering in something that I shouldn't, having only been a part of the family for a year and a half. This girl is amazing, and needs to be encouraged about being amazing. She's made some bad choices, and I just think someone needs to talk to her about the choices she's making and where they will lead her...

1 comment:

elissa said...

I wouldn't worry about stepping on peoples toes. If they're going to get all huffy about you trying to help, that's their problem. what does bill think? would he address your concerns to these other family members - as a mediator of sorts?
good luck
elissa